They say your birthmark is how you died in your past life.
Well, right after the fire, before my skin graft surgery, they have to decide where they can take skin off your body to use for the grafts. I was so scared.
I remember asking the doctor, "please, can you keep my birthmark that's on my stomach?"
I didn't know the extent of my burns until she said, "honey, I don't see a birthmark, your whole stomach is burned."
So here’s how it went down…
That fateful night, I was a newlywed and my partner and I thought we’d have a relaxing night with a bottle of wine…
We had this online craft tutorial playing on repeat, explaining how to make a cute DIY candle holder.
It’s the little things, right? Sure.
But it was exactly at that moment, I remember thinking “Gosh, what could go wrong?”
—when this HUGE fireball blew me off my feet and onto the ground.
See, the YouTube tutorial instructed us to tie a string soaked in isopropyl alcohol around the wine bottle and light it on fire.
After several failed attempts, my now ex poured more alcohol on the flame - “Let me do it, you just hold the bottle so you can be safe.”
We had no clue... there was so much alcohol vapor in the air that the whole kitchen area was just WAITING TO CATCH ON FIRE.
One spark, and the air was ABLAZE.
When the fireball knocked me down, I thought the bottle exploded and I may end up with some cuts, but nothing too serious.
I didn’t even realize I was burning for the first few seconds…
Then, my partner tackles me and tries to PUT ME OUT WITH HIS BODY (?!) and it was NOT WORKING.